Summer Fresh Recipes for your Farmers Market Shopping Bag
Aug 01, 2019 03:59PM
Here are a few quick and easy recipe ideas for your Farmers Market haul.
Summer Fresh Healthy Bowl with Sesame Dressing
• 1 small zucchini
• 1 small yellow squash
• 1 small sweet potato
• Olive oil spray
• Salt and pepper
Chop vegetables into bite sized pieces and place on baking sheet. Spray with olive oil and season to taste. Roast until tender at 350 degrees – approximately 20 minutes.
• ¼ head of red cabbage, chopped
• Chopped red onion to taste
• 2 tbsp. butter or other fat for sauté
Sautee chopped red cabbage and red onion in small pan of melted butter until onion is translucent and cabbage wilts.
• 1 cup of fresh spinach, kale, or other green leaf of choice
• ½ cup cooked quinoa
• Thin sliced grilled protein of choice (chicken, salmon, lean steak)
• 3 tbsp. white sesame seeds
• 3 tsp. rice vinegar
• 1 tbsp. soy sauce
• 2 tsp. sugar (brown or granulated)
• 1 tsp. sesame oil
Assemble all ingredients in large individual bowls sectioning off for roasted veggies, sautéed veggies, greens, quinoa, and proteins, to create a pinwheel. Drizzle with dressing. Should make two large individual bowls.
Nutrient Rich, High Protein, Light Summer Salad
• 1 cup of fresh spinach, washed
• ½ avocado slice thin
• ¼ cup of fresh blueberries (or berry of your choice)
• Chopped green pepper
• Thin sliced cucumber
• ¼ cup of cooked quinoa
• 1 tbsp. of shelled sunflower seeds
• Sprinkle of goat cheese
• Red wine vinegar or light dressing of your choice
Makes one meal-sized serving of salad. The avocado and quinoa provide enough moisture and creaminess, that little dressing is needed on this fresh and healthy salad. Add chopped grilled chicken to make it more filling.
Quick Fresh Salsa
• 4 large tomatoes diced (any variety)
• ¼ cup chopped onion (any variety)
• 3 tbsp. chopped cilantro.
• 2 tsp. minced jalapeno (feel free to use other pepper varieties if your palette likes hotter or milder)
• 1½ tsp. lime or lemon juice.
• ¾ tsp. kosher salt (or to taste)
• 2 small garlic cloves minced
After chopping all items, combine thouroughly in medium sized bowl. Cover and refrigerate for flavors to mix. Serve with your favorite dish or tortilla chips.
Grilled Fruit Kebobs
• Cut fruit of choice into bit-sized chunks and thread onto skewers.
• Try pineapple, peaches, pears, watermelon, honeydew, and other firm summer fruits.
• Mix ¼ cup of honey with 1 tsp. of lemon juice and ¼ tsp. of cinnamon.
• Grill fruit for two minutes on each side, drizzling with honey mixture as fruit cooks.
• Remove from grill and serve with vanilla ice cream.